Teaming up with craft breweries and tap rooms around the world to find motivated job candidates!
United Kingdom (York)
We have an exciting opportunity for a brewery professional to join as Production Brewer at our brand new, custom-built, twin 50hl brewhouse facility (giving a total capacity of 100hl per brew), initially with over 1,000HL+ of fermentation capacity, but with expectations to grow rapidly. After thriving through the lockdowns, to the point where our existing 15hl brewery has been stretched further than we believed possible, we have invested heavily in a new site and new equipment from UK based 6ix-Fabdec. We have exciting ambitions to grow our unique product range and exploit new growth opportunities (with craft lagers and low alcohol beers a likely focus).
Please read below for the full job description and details for how to apply:
Job Title: Production Brewer
Reports to: Head Brewer
Based at: Brew York Ltd, Units A-C Handley Park, Outgang Lane, Osbaldwick, York, YO19 5UP
Job purpose: To be responsible for accurate, consistent and timely production of our wide range of beers.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
• Brewing and cellaring daily duties as below.
• Assist Head and Senior Brewers by supervising and training Junior Brewers
• Support the Head Brewer in procedural development and optimisation
• Maintain up to date records (including but not limited to BrewMan and Microsoft Excel)
• Verify that beer fermentation and conditioning proceeds as expected
• Verify that beers are in spec for packaging and assist the Senior Brewer in ensuring all beer meets target specs
• Ensure cleaning is performed to schedule. Carry out hygiene work, ensuring the brewery is kept clean and in accordance with current regs
• Provide cover as a team as needed, 7 days week including bank holidays (e.g. Christmas)
• Ensure that the quality of beer leaving Brew York Brewery is excellent at all times
• Increasing your understanding of the art and science of brewing through study and investigation. All Brewers should be working towards their IBD certificate or equivalent
• Demonstrate knowledge, enthusiasm and hospitality to visitors and clients, and at events where you represent the brewery
• Operate a twin 50hl brewhouse
• Responsible for all aspects of wort production
• Mill operation and malt preparation
• Brewhouse CIPs
• Enter all necessary data into relevant programmes
• Ensure correct use and storage of relevant raw materials (malt, hops, dry yeast, salts etc)
• Operate a semi-automated cellar, including centrifuge
• Measure tank CO2s/DOs – Carbonating beers as required
• Ensure beer is in spec for packaging dates
• Yeasting/hopping off vessels as required
• Carry out Yeast counts and viabilities to ensure we have yeast availability for pitching
• Yeast management
• Carry out semi-automated Vessel cleans (CIPs)
• Operate automated Dry-Hopping procedure
• Transferring beers
• Monitor fermentation, ensuring Fermentation profiles are adhered to
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most of the time. Temperatures vary seasonally in work areas.
• We are looking for someone who has a minimum of 3 years’ brewing experience. Experience working in a large craft brewery with a 50hl/hr centrifuge or greater is desirable
• IBD Diploma in Brewing, Brewing MSc, Food Science or Chemical Engineering degree or equivalent is desirable
• A thorough understanding of the brewing process, equipment and techniques
• Confident enough to question the way things are done
• Strong time management skills with the ability to plan-ahead and manage multiple tasks
• You understand the importance of accuracy in all aspects of brewing to prevent contamination and brewery health and safety issues. Not only during the brewhouse process, but also in all aspects of cellaring and cleaning
• Familiar with basic laboratory equipment and methods – any further lab experience will be a bonus
• Strong communication skills
• Positive and committed attitude, with a flexible approach to work hours
Hours of Work & Holiday Entitlement
• 40 hours per week (Mon-Sun, sometimes inclusive of evenings)
• Holidays – 28 days, which includes all statutory / public holidays (8 days)(time in lieu will be offered where required to work a bank holiday)
Compensation and Benefits
• Competitive Salary
• One case (12 x 440ml) of core beer per month
• Staff Discount
• Uniform (Brewers Wellies, T-Shirts, Hoodies, Bib and Brace/Work Trousers
• Company Pension (3% of eligible salary) Contributions
Brew York is renowned for releasing a huge number of new brews a year and 2021 is no different, this year we will release 50 new recipes a year, on top of returning one-off previous one-off brews, and core brews. So, whilst the primary focus of this role is to ensure all processes are top-quality, repeatable and consistent, you will also be invited to contribute to all new beer ideas and recipe formulations. We currently do not have shifts, and it is not our expectation that we will need them for the foreseeable future. However, we have got great sales guys, so we cannot rule out having them at some point.
The beautiful city of York has been our inspiration and is regularly voted one of the best places in the UK to live. So, if you have been brewing in a large city and fancy living somewhere with history, green, hills and beaches on your doorstep this is your opportunity.
How to apply: If you like the sound of this and think the description above sounds quite like you, and you would like to come and join a rapidly growing team that works hard but likes to have fun, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday 15th January